image
Tiffany's Blog
image image image image
Sunday, January 11, 2009

Christmas party, New Year party, one celebration or another. Over the years my mom has attended quite a number of parties. They all happen to be the type of business party where it's a bunch of older folks dressed up in interesting outfits with interesting makeup, and the MC starts off in two languages and ends up in one (chinese). Tonight happened to be another one. There were ladies dancing a cultural dance that normally uses girls probably half their age and the usual butchering of American songs with wonderful Chinese accents. What makes these parties interesting is when the senior members get drunk off wine and less interesting as I know absolutely no one and have no one to talk to (and I mean no one, some lady looked at me and said I have a son that swims for Walnut High School...and that was the end of that conversation. I wasn't even introduced to her).

But every time I attend one of these wonderful parties (because the males of my family refuse to go and I have to humor my mom), I have noticed that there's always a Caucasian in the crowd somewhere (This time happened to be Senator Bob Huff from Diamond Bar). And every time I really want to ask them, "So, having attended so many of these parties where you are the only non-asian person in the room and the longer your in the room, the less and less they speak english, how do you do it?! I'm uncomfortable and I actually understand what they're saying." Unfortunately, that looks like it'll be a question that stays unanswered for awhile.

I want to say it's rude for the people around to only speak chinese and that they should be more considerate and try to make more of an effort to speak english, but then I realize that the entire room except for one or two people are all chinese. So in this case, is it wrong for me to feel bad that there's not a greater attempt at english and to include the stray guest or that eh.. whatever! You came to a room full of english is my second language people, just bear with it.

Who knows? I'm just glad I got out of there (around the 6th course of who knows how many courses, after the butchering of "What a wonderful world," and before the communal dancing and raffling).

-------------

Diamond bar is boring......... I'd love for something to do. At least it's finally starting to warm up a bit.
Oh, and I'm getting kicked out of my room for a couple days so guests can sleep in it while my dad abandons his little office for the master room. Fun! Reason: because my room is cleaner and he doesn't want to clean his office. (There's a whole story in that one...perhaps another day)

Laterz.

1:40 PM